Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Tubes and tears

Danny has had 6 ear infections since last November. He even had 3 infections before Christmas! We went to see the ENT (Ear, Nose, Throat specialist) and she was under the impression that perhaps it was all 1 giant ear infection that didn't heal until the super meds the third time around. Well, by the first week of April - we had gone through another 3 rounds of antibiotics. AND, we checked at the end of 10 days to make sure the ears were completely healed. They were. So, off to the ENT. We saw her on Wed of last week - ears are completely healthy (as we were finishing off another round of antibiotics that very day) and we scheduled our surgery for tubes this week, Tuesday.

Fast forward 6 days, Danny and I check into same-day surgery for the tubes. I wish I had packed a camera - but who would want a camera to document your kid being surrounded by hospital staff? I thought it was kinda weird - but then I regretted it. He was so stinkin' cute with the mini-hospital gown, cap, and machines for checking heart rate and pulse. The nurses and staff all oohed and aahh'ed over how cute and somber he was. He just sat there and let them do their stuff. Not tears - no fighting. Then, they scooped him up and said, "mom, we'll take good care of him" and they were off to the surgery room. That's when I lost it. I stood there in tears and became overwhelmed because I wasn't there to watch over him. I had to trust them. And I trusted them - it just hurt to let go.

I calmed down and the surgery was done in 15 minutes. They brought him back to me - wailing and screaming. Yeah, anesthesia will do that to a little kid. He screamed for 10-15 minutes then sweetly fell asleep in my arms. That was a sweet moment - this little boy does not sleep very often in my arms. He's too busy for that! Oh, and FYI, his ears were infected again. The Dr. even mentioned one ear was ready to "perforate." Yikes. It was the right choice. I'm just sorry we waited so long to do it. He's happy Danny today - just playing and happy as can be. Yeah!

8 comments:

Greg and Lara said...

And I thought the tears were going to be Danny's. J/K...I knew they were yours. Glad he's doing so well!

Kristy said...

You definately made the right decision. He'll be a happy boy from here on out, at least where ears are concerned. :)

The Brown's said...

lea I am so glad that things went well. It is TERRIBLE to watch your kids go through the door. you did good mom!

Spencer and Shalynn said...

I'm glad he is happy now and hopefully completely pain free. Those ear infections can be buggers. :)

Alisa said...

Poor poor boy...and poor mommy! I would have loved to see a photo of him in the hospital getup, though! Glad to hear he is doing better!

Devri said...

Poor little Danny!

Vanessa said...

The surgery part is so hard for both mom and kiddo! But the results are so worth it! Gracie had tubes put in when she was about 2 1/2 and she's never had an ear infection again.

Jenny said...

That story brought tears to my eyes right at the part where they took Danny from you. It brought back memories of Tyler's surgery- it's the worst part and so so sad to see them all mad afterwords not knowing what just happened to them!
Thankfully kids re-bound so fast!