Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Day 17

An art piece:
"Reason for the Season"
by Greg Olsen
When I was a student at BYU I spent the majority of my days in the Harris Fine Arts Center (HFAC). There is a large open "gallery" in the center of this building and often, they will showcase work by students and/or faculty or guest artists. One year they had this painting there. It was HUGE - almost the size of my garage door. And it was beautiful. Posting the copy of it in my blog does not do it justice. I love how the children are drawn to the nativity with all those treasures and toys surrounding them. The message is so simple and beautiful.


There was another showcase a year later at the HFAC that a man had driven along Highway 89 and taken pictures. He wanted to capture the beauty of the earth along a forgotten highway - it was spectacular. I wish I knew the artist for that display as I think about it often.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And you say I have a good memory. I don't remember a painting as big as a garage door, and I don't remember the Highway 89 display. In fact, I basically remember no art displays at all. I do, however, remember "Sex on the Slab Couple". They were so entertaining I didn't bother looking at the art!