Washing Machine
- Don't use fabric softener, use vinegar instead, with every wash. It is better than fabric softener and no, it doesn't stink. Well, maybe I do smell like vinegar and my friends haven't mentioned it?!?!
- The vinegar not only cleans your clothes, it also will reduce static - thus no dryer sheets. Also, this cleans your washer and it goes a long way to keep it mold free.
- personally, I haven't dried the "no dryer" sheets theory.... I think everything is SUPER static-ee in the winter.... drives me bonkers!
- Leave the door (top or front) open on your washer to air out after each washing.
- I must mention, no vinegar if you are using bleach in that load
- Wash your heavier clothes together - ie towels and jeans. Try to wash clothing with similar traits - loads with half towels and half regular clothes is hard on the washer.
- Most stores suggest filling front loaders too full. There is suppose to be 1/3 room on top of space. If you are washing heavy clothing, ie towels or jeans, leave 1/2 of the space free.
- Use about 2 Tablespoons of soap. Usually you don't need any more than that. (I was using WAY MORE than that!!!)
Dishwasher
- One technician recommended "Finish"... I still haven't finished my other supply to try this brand
- Another recommended "Lemishine" product, just 1 tsp per load (for those with hard water)
- Once a month, throw in a cup of vinegar at the basin and fill up a cup with vinegar to leave on the top rack in the upright position. The lower vinegar will get rinsed out quickly - but with cup full on top, vinegar stays throughout the cycle. I did this and noticed a big change in my washer immediately.
- Another technician recommended powder over gels. He was also a fan of the little "pre-measured" packets simply because he says people use too much soap. You should only be using 2 Tablespoons of soap. Supposedly, too much soap will etch your glassware.
So, there you have it!! Hopefully I won't have to bring a technician back for any repairs!
5 comments:
Thanks for the tips! I have never tried vinegar in the washing machine and will now give it a try. Thanks!!!!!:)
Awesome! I look forward to using these tips sometime in the future when I have a washer and dishwasher!
these are great! i don't know if you've noticed on fb but i'm kind of ocd about stuff like this. (the "no-phosphates" thing is driving me crazy!) incidentally, finish powerball tabs are fantastic in the dishwasher. can't wait to try the rest!
Apparently I'm using way to much soap too. I definately use more than 2 tablespoons. And I'm a little skeptical on the vinegar, it's just so darn stinky. I'll have to pick your brain some more on that one.
Are you serious? 2 Tbsp? Even for the big loads? I'm using like a cup!
On the otherhand, I never use fabric softener but love my vinegar. How much vinegar should I be putting in?
Post a Comment