Every time I take the boys to the dentist, the dentist is very kind about the fact that Cole sucks his thumb. He has said, don't worry about it yet - he'll stop when he is ready. When he asked me about his thumb-sucking now that he's in Kindergarten, I mentioned he'll avoid it at school, but sucks like CRAZY at home. It was driving us bonkers as it had INCREASED this school year. The dentist recommended a "POSITIVE" method for quitting and I took it to heart. He advised me to find a prize for Cole that would motivate him - and he should go 30 days without sucking his thumb, IN A ROW. Honestly, this kid could not go even go 15 minutes.
So, we tried things such as "How about we take you to Lagoon?" nah.
"We're goin to California this summer, do you want to go to LegoLand?" nah...
Cole, what do you REALLY want?
C: A house
Me: You already live in a house.
C: But I want my OWN house!
Me: Like a play house?
C: No, a big house.
Me: Sorry, it won't happen.
C: Then I want a car.
Me: I can't afford a car either.
C: Then I'll never stop sucking my thumb.
Me: Ok.
A week later -
C: Ok, Mommy, I want a play house, but it has to be a BIG ONE.
Me: Let's see what the playhouses look like
I pull up the Toys R Us website and we look at the houses that are UNDER $100. I had to run out of the room for a second and when I return to the computer, Cole has scrolled down to the bottom of the list and exclaimed...
C: I found the one I wanted! THAT ONE!!
Me: Sorry hon, but that's $2500 for a playhouse and I don't have that much money.
C: Then, I'll never stop.
Me: Ok.
A week later...
Cole comes home from a friend's house and exclaims that Layton's big sister is giving hamsters away for FREE!
C: Can I have one?
Me: They cost money to take care of. Sorry.
C: But it's For FREE!
Me: Well, the hamster is free but, you'll need a cage, a water bottle, and an exercise wheel.
C: I'll do jobs!
Me: Ok!!
Cole did jobs for the next hour and a half - really it was impressive. He came up with the jobs and worked really hard. He earned $1.75.
C: Do I have enough?
Me: Let's look and see how much a cage costs.
We look online and see that the supplies are well above Cole's savings and then the lightbulb comes on over my head....
Me: Cole, I would be happy to buy you all these things if you stop sucking your thumb for 30 days.
C: Then I can get a hamster?!?!
Me: Yup. 30 days, IN A ROW.
C: Oh! I really want a hamster!
We made the following chart: (notice his little hamster picture)
It took him a couple of days to get that "FIRST DAY", but once he started, he never missed a day.
Meet Cole's new pet:
His name is "Chewy"
We also stopped by the dentist's office and he gave him this bear - wow, I didn't expect that!
Maggie isn't so sure about the new addition... but she hasn't attacked him or even barked at him. We have such a good dog. I hope this little guy is as great a pet as Maggie! So far, the boys are LOVING him. we'll see how much love they have after cleaning the cage! One complaint though, the boys' room now stinks like Hamster. Any advice fellow rodent owners?
7 comments:
That is SO Awesome!!! Great job Cole!!!
That is SO funny! Good job Cole! (Oh, and I do love the picture of the hamster that he drew.
You are a far kinder, nicer, better mother than I'll ever be.
Loved the chronicling of your conversations with him. I think a hamster was totally worth it, in spite of the smell. But seriously, what little boy wants a house or a car? He drives a hard bargain!
It's all about what motivates them at the right time. Way to go Cole! My little sister sucked her thumb until she was in 7th grade. She finally realized no one else was sucking their thumb, so she quit.
just as funny hearing it the 2nd time. LOVE that story! :)
Too cute! That funny cole.
Post a Comment