Sunday, September 30, 2012

A dollar to burn...

In our church, we have 2 gentlemen who will come visit us monthly to share a little message and also offer their services should a need arise.  We call these our "home-teachers."  Well, one of our current home-teacher's knows EVERYTHING about electronics and computers and of course, has Cole MESMORIZED by his vast knowledge.  He also gave Cole some left-over computer parts - it was like Christmas.  So, I shouldn't be surprised when I hear about Cole's most recent adventure...

Cole and his best friend decided to find someone to take them to the store to buy a treat.  Connor had a dollar in his pocket and they were determined to get to a gas station.  But, I was busy teaching lessons and from what I hear, Connor's mom was busy with a project of her own.  The boys set off to Bro. Peter's house (our home-teacher).  He's not at home, but his wife answers the door and they ask her if she could take them to the gas station.  She's a little concerned about these two boys walking through the neighborhood and asking for a ride.  After she convinces them that she is not able to take them and they should go talk to their moms ("Oh no, our moms can't take us because Cole's mom is teaching lessons and Connor's mom is busy too) she makes a quick phone call to us both.  (But I didn't pick up the phone since I was teaching!)  The boys proceeded across the street and decide to ask another friend's mother if she could take them to the gas station.  She was very sorry that she could not help them since she was babysitting other little kids and it just wasn't a good idea for her to take them and they should go talk to their moms about this.  They said they understood and left, but only to the front yard.  They hung out there for 5-10 minutes and then came back to her door to ask if the kids had left yet that she was babysitting.  Thankfully, she thought it was funny and amusing and sent them on their way with a laugh.  I'm not sure if they asked anyone else in the neighborhood for a ride - but those are the two I heard from personally.

When I heard about this I was upset!!  First of all, that he was asking neighbors (and possibly strangers?!?) for a ride and that he was NOT where he had promised to be during my lesson time.  When I approached him about the whole incident (which unfortunately was a couple days after it had happened) Cole looked at me with that that "deer in the headlights" look and said, "oh, you finally found out about that?"
Yes I did.  Do you want to talk to me about it?
"Well, we really wanted to go to the gas station 'cause Connor had a dollar.  And our home-teacher promised to help me if I ever needed anything!"
It was hard to be mad after that...

5 comments:

sarah said...

what a resourceful guy you have ;)

Andrea said...

Oh my gosh, your kids are hilarious!

Devri said...

Oh Cole! What more can I say!

Kristy said...

Classic Cole, I love it!

Jenny said...

Too funny- Cole is a hoot!