Tuesday, October 20, 2015

HALF MARATHON!!

Well, I remember very clearly the day I did my first 5K.  And it was a big deal.  I have done a couple more 5K's since then, and two summers ago I did a 10K.  I felt so good afterwards I thought - why not a half?  Ok - let's do it!  Then came the skiing accident and I took the year off from all athletic challenges.  So, this was the summer to get in a Half Marathon (that's 13.1 miles BTW) since the goal is to have it done before I'm 40.  I'm not 40 yet...

Kristy and I are workout-besties - every morning we're up by 5:30 to get our gym/therapy time.  We trained all winter-long and I recruited a few other neighbors to join my "team" so we could have a discounted rate (the things we do to save $5).  MaryAnne joined us for several of our long runs in preparation for the big day and I had the best running buddies EVER.  We did the American Fork Canyon Half - which means you take a bus to the top of the canyon and then you run down it back to your car.  It's supposed to be the easiest way to run that far (down a canyon) and improve your time too.  Here we are at the top of the canyon - watching the sunrise over the mountains.  Did I mention we had to be there at a CRAZY INSANE TIME OF 4AM?   Maybe it was 5 am - whenever it was, it really was too early.   



Personally this is how it went down.  The run down the canyon was fun and exhilarating - I remember a guy yelling out next to me "we're doing 6 minute miles".  WHAT?!?!  I was just going with the flow and running well beyond my strength which would become evident at the bottom. 



 When I got to the bottom of the canyon I felt like the rug had been pulled from under my feet.  I had run long runs preparing for this day and in retrospect I did not train well enough for two things: steep downhill and heat.  We were having a heatwave and even at 7 in the morning I was MELTING when we came out of the canyon.  (the canyon was perfect)  I felt like I couldn't breath.  Also, my legs felt like jelly once I was on flat surface from the steep downhill and I was only half way through the race.  It was a struggle.  Run, walk a little, RUN, walk a little,...  Once I got a half mile from the finish line, I didn't know if I could start running again - I had convinced myself to only walk for half a block - and it kept getting longer.  Then MaryAnne came up behind me (she had stopped for a potty break) and said "come on Lea!" and if she hadn't - I don't think I could have started again!  I finished running!  HURRAY!  And I FINISHED!!!  HURRAY! HURRAY!!   I averaged my regular running time (10 minute miles) despite my walking during that second half.  That downhill was REALLY fast.  I'm grateful for these beautiful friends of mine.  Will I do another Half?  Yeah.  I would like to...  but next summer I would rather be on my bike!








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Huge congrats to you!! And yes, come with me on your bike next summer. We'll triple your mileage :)

Anonymous said...

Oops - I'm not James. Haha - need to sign out of his account.