Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Maggie vs Husky

In early November, while I was teaching lessons - the weather was warm and the kids were running (literally) in and out the doors playing together.  Maggie was sitting out on our front lawn and a Husky (he lives the next street over) had gotten out.  The teenager from the Husky's house was chasing after him - and he saw what happened next and so did Cole's best friend, Connor.  The husky picked up Maggie and shook her fiercely.  She fought for her life and got away - but there were injuries: a puncture wound on her tummy, a puncture wound on her side, a broken tooth (which was pulled later) and she also got stitches in her paw.  She was also traumatized - she wasn't our Maggie for the next month+.  She had a hard time with her appetite and just seemed miserable.






She kept gnawing at her wounds, so I put a t-shirt on her to keep her from touching the wounds.  I didn't realize she had developed an abscess in the side wound - we went back to the vet and she had a drain placed and new antibiotics.  The drain was only for a few days and it healed very quickly.  

I had to be very creative to get medicine into this little girl. YouTube really is amazing - I learned how to make pills out of chicken that would dissolve when placed in the side of her cheek - otherwise she would have been even more miserable without the pain killers and antibiotics.






This is the drain.

A new shirt for Maggie 


I'm terribly behind in blogging - so FYI, she is back to herself now.  She sits in her window spot and tries to get out if the kids leave a door open.  It's nice to have Maggie acting like Maggie - we're all happy to have her with us a little longer.  

No comments: