Sunday, April 18, 2010

Mean Mom

Guess what.

I found the beloved blankie yesterday! (story about the blankie) The on-site manager for the indoor soccer games has been carrying around a box of lost-and-found items and yesterday was the last game. We missed the last Saturday game while in Idaho. I saw the blankie and do you know what I did? I grabbed it and went straight to the car and put it in the back - so Cole wouldn't see it. Yeah, I'm mean. Cole even asked, "can we look for my blankie again today?" When he has his blankie, he has his thumb in his mouth and we're constantly dragging that blankie with us EVERYWHERE! It was sweet for the past 4+ years but, losing the blankie was probably the ONLY way to break the habit. Oh, he misses it... but, he's also found out that he can survive without it. Maybe in 10 years, I'll bring it out to him again. I'm definitely saving his precious blankie. That makes me a mean mom. Will he forgive me?

10 comments:

mindy said...

I don't know, Lea . . . he is going to learn to read before 10 years is over and you have documented your trickery! ;)

He'll get over it.

Chari said...

Oh, I'm so glad you found it! I was wondering about that last time we talked and I forgot to ask. That's a great way to break the habit! Someday he'll get over it when he's older. I know people very close to me that had their thumb until about 4th grade. I say end it while you can!

Amber said...

I'm so glad you found it- and I would definitely do the same thing. We may have to conveniently "lose" Bethany's blanket in a couple years.

Devri said...

My mom considered herself a mean mom, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I think you have to be a little mean to help children learn to grow and be independent. I'm super glad that you found it so that he can have it for all the memories' sake, but I think it's a good idea to not give it to him until he's kicked the Blankie dependence. I miss you guys. Now that it's warm again, you should drop your boys by so that they can play!

Kristy said...

I don't know if I could do it lea. If Max or Em lost their silkies I would be as devestated as them. You're not mean, you're strong.

Greg and Lara said...

As soon as he can read your blog, he's going to know!!! But I'll still support you. I think it's best to end the blankie habit now. Way to be a mean mom!

The Brown's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Brown's said...

your a good mom!!! he will totally forgive you! now if you had left it there would wouldn't be allowed to see your future grandchildren but you saved it for him! your so good at doing the hard things. do you want to take ella's binkie away for me???

Alisa said...

I'm glad you're at least keeping it to pull out someday when you break the truth to him. I wish I still had my raggedy old blanket, just as a keepsake!

Jenny said...

Glad you found it for the keep-sake box- those are the things that will melt your heart when you're old and gray.