Yeah, even within 48 hours of that ride, I'm already thinking, I want to do that again! Yes, I'm a little sore - but honestly, the sun burn on my arms (I forgot to put sunscreen on them!) is the most painful part of my recovery. Yes, I'm tired and luckily, I got a nap in today! Here are a few pics to help me remember the entire experience:
Me and Rach - how lucky am I to have such a great friend who drove me, took pics for me, and told me I could do it over and over again!?! Very lucky indeed. Thanks Rach. I look forward to many years of riding together!
I got to know Rach's Sis-in-law. She had arranged the hotel room for the lot of us. Originally there were going to be 8 women, but in the end, it was just the 3 of us. We drove up to Logan Friday afternoon, and had the evening to check out the fun booths and merchandise for sale. I was seriously tempted to by a water-repellant jacket that evening. There was a scare of rain and I seriously thought I was going to break down at any minute and just start crying. Sorry, but I'm just not equipped for a rainy bike ride - nor was I prepared to buy such apparell. Lucky for me, the day of the ride was PERFECT!

I did this ride by myself. At times I would fall in behind groups I could keep pace with (and draft) and other times, I just passed a lot of other riders. I was very happy with my pace - I rode the first 50 miles in 3 hours. It took me 3 1/2 hours to do the next 50 miles. So, with my 1/2 hour lunch break, I crossed the finish line in exactly 7 hours! The hardest part was mile 70-79. I hear people talking about hitting a "wall" and I'm not sure if that is how I would describe it. But it was a tough spot to mentally keep those legs spinning. It was a tough climb with wind and no one else riding close to me. When I took the next little pit stop (mile 79) I felt rejuvinated and ready to finish the last 20 miles. What's 21 miles after doing 79??!?
My favorite part of the ride was the valley. It was absolutely gorgeous. I was riding through tiny little farm towns that were so enchanting. I wish I could have had my camera with me - but it just wasn't an option with all my "fuel" foods and my jacket. Besides, I would have stopped every few miles for another postcard perfect picture! It was absolutely beautiful.
Here I am approaching the finish line.

The beloved banner letting me know I was FINISHED!

Barely able to walk after being on a bike all day, I'm smiling and famished. They had great food at the finish line and I'm ecstatic that I've REALLY DONE IT!


My hubby and boys did not come to the race. They had soccer games and it would have been a long trip for them to see me ride across a finish line. When I got home, my sweet husband had these beautiful flowers waiting for me. Thanks sweetie! Not for just the flowers, but for supporting me and letting me take the time to pursue this goal. I couldn't have done it without your support..... or your bike!!
PS When I got in my car to drive home, I found myself trying to do the "stop" signal with my hand (fist behind my back) as I pulled up to a stop sign. I had to remind myself that I was in a car and obviously, I did not need to do the signals!

15 comments:
YEAH!!!!! YOU DID IT! I knew you would do awesome. This is quite an accomplishment. You are amazing!!!
WAHOOOO!!! I knew you would be great, too! That's just awesome that the weather was perfect, etc! You are SUPER WOMAN!!
Beautiful flowers from Shayne...
And I LOVE Hunter's self-portrait shirt...what an adorable idea!!
You are amazing!!! I thought about you all weekend and couldn't wait to see your post about your race! I'm so glad you stayed dry and had so much fun! You have by far bested me! Keep it up! Miss you lots! I wish I could have been there to cheer you on!
Century ride #1, oh dear, is this going to become an addiction. I'm so proud of you for accomplishing this. I know I wasn't there in person, but I was cheering you on all day. Way to go Lea!
You're amazing! Good job! That was cute of Shayne. Beautiful flowers.
And this is Devri.
Congrats girl! I am so happy for you!
Awesome job! You are truly inspiring!
- Kim
I love that you were starting to do hand signals in the car :) Reminds me of driving after playing Mario Kart - not nearly as active as what you were doing...
You did amazing! So glad I got to be there!
Way to go! I would never even dream of riding a bike 100 miles, and there you are actually doing it. Fantastic! I loved the hand signal in the car. :)
You are so awesome! That is something I would never be able to do, 100 miles on a bike!!! Way to Go!!!
CONGRATULATIONS LEA- seriously, that is an awesome goal that you accomplished! Way to go!
You are amazing!
Awesome pictures! And I teared up when you wrote that Shayne had flowers waiting for you at home. How sweet! You are seriously AMAZING. I am in awe!
AWESOME!!! I think that anyone that can find the time to train and race with 3 kids, I take my hat off. I once did a triathalon in Topeka called the Tinman. It was great!
I am so proud of you! Way to go. I can't wait to be able to ride with you next time. You GO GIRL!
Post a Comment