Thursday, May 14, 2009

5K with 18,000


I'm not even kidding about the 18,000 participants! I did my 2nd official race with my workout buddies in SLC's "Race for the Cure." It was surreal. The people, the MASSES, the sponsors (and all the free stuff ROCKED!), and the whole experience was really unforgettable. Everyone had the same number, "2009" and on our backs we could pin a sign to honor or celebrate someone we knew with breast cancer. I ran thinking of Deidre (my cousin who passed away last year). She was an AMAZING person and inspiration to all who knew her.
When they did the "shot gun" to start the race, we just stood there! We couldn't move because there were so many people! When we started moving - there was no room to move. We had to walk and sort of pretend we would start running/jogging soon. It was funny. It was just shoulder to shoulder people and more people. After a couple blocks, we started to jog a little on the side of the mass of people. I could see ahead and it looked like 10 blocks of people - and the race had just started! And there were still blocks of people behind me. There were great outfits all around us - men in pink sports bras, shirts stating "bookin' for boobies" and all sorts of untraditional attire around us. I loved seeing the men with comments such as "in celebration of my hot wife" on their backs. I wish I had just carried my camera with me for the event. We took a few pics before the race started and they do not do justice to the experience! Thank you C and K for keeping me running! (I'm never sure if I should type peoples names in my blog).


7 comments:

Kristy said...

That was an unforgettable experience, one I hope to have again. Thanks for encouraging me to run with you guys. You're the best!

Lori said...

Very cool! And great friends to share the experience!

Chari said...

I had a blast running/walking with you guys! I was going to post it too, but I was hoping for a picture or two to go along with it. Got any you can spare??? I wish I would be around to do many more races, you'll just have to let me know how they all go!

Anonymous said...

I am SOOOO excited for you. And those races for the cure are the most inspirational, at least to me (although I've never run one yet)! Go Leah - you da woman!!

Alisa said...

Wohoo! Way to go!

Anonymous said...

How cool! That's awesome! I love the bookin' for boobies. Ha Ha! Good for you! I read this and I think MAYBE just MAYBE I should try one!

Laura said...

How awesome! That's neat that you could be a part of it, in honor of someone you love. Good racing!!!