Thursday, November 7, 2013

Surprise visitor!

 Here is a picture of me on my first day in Bahia Blanca, Argentina serving as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  It was March 14th, 1997 (good thing I made a scrapbook noting the dates!)  Marty was my newly assigned companion and trainer (I won't post last names on my blog) and she was my everything.  She taught me how to work and serve with all my heart, mind, and strength.  We laughed, cried, and did all the wonderful things that missionaries do together for the next month and a half.  Being a missionary has been the greatest blessing of my life - it was also the hardest thing I have EVER done.  And she was there at the start of it - really, she shaped and molded me into the missionary I had hoped to be.


Fast forward 16 years - I didn't know it, but Marty was in town for a special honor of being inducted into the BYU Athletic Hall of Fame.  She suddenly realized that I live close to there and I got a surprise message via FB.  We had an hour to visit before she had to run away to the airport.  Oh, if I could only tell you how much I love and admire this amazing woman.  The stories I can you about our time as missionaries are an earful - but I cherish those memories.  I honestly think of my mission on a daily basis.  Thank you Marty for taking time out to visit me - I love you so much!

1 comment:

Devri said...

Lucky! That's awesome!