Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Maggie

When I started looking for the perfect dog - I had an idea of what I wanted.  When I saw a post about this little shitzu, I was DRAWN to her and I wanted her immediately.  I called right away and unfortunately she had already been adopted by another family.  I was heart-broken because there was something different about her and looking at her photo online - I really thought she was for us.  So imagine my surprise when the family called a week later and asked if we were still interested in their little puppy - it hadn't worked out with the other family (their other dog was being mean to her).  We picked her up that night!  Here are a few pics over the years - we got her in Jan of 2008 (I was pregnant with Danny).

The first night we brought her home...  she was 3 months old.




About 5 months old in this pic


6 months old


First haircut 




She loved going on walks and going to the park - children would come ask if they could hold her leash and they'd run her around.  She used to be such a crazy active little puppy!  And she chewed on EVERYTHING.


Helping Danny learn to crawl



Danny and Maiya with Maggie


Jenny and Tyler with Maggie







I didn't take enough pictures of her.  She was a constant in our lives and a spirit that belonged in our home.  She loved to sit in the window and watch everyone and everything.  She was my doorbell because I always knew if someone was approaching the house well before they got to my porch!



When she got injured last spring - we were terrified of losing her.  She HATED wearing this shirt - which kept her from itching her injuries.  My dog did NOT want to be wearing clothes - lol.



Another favorite spot - on the couch looking out the back window.




While we were in Bear Lake and Shayne was at home, she got really sick.  We had noticed she was getting thinner but hadn't really been concerned about it since she was still the same Maggie - loved to run out the front door and run around the neighborhood, barking at the all the dogs passing by, and super happy to go on a walk. 

We ended our Bear Lake trip a day early and came home to spend some time with Maggie - she was anemic (her gums had turned white) and needed a blood transfusion.  We decided not to do the transfusion because there was also a growth in her abdomen - and the quality of life was not good.  I'm grateful that everything happened so fast - but at the same time, it was heart-wrenching to lose her so quickly and suddenly.  We all cried many tears that week.







What I miss about Maggie:
Barking at the window
Whenever I opened the fridge - she knew if I was getting out ham!
I actually miss her in-and-out, in-and-out, through our sliding door.
At bedtime, I would say Maggie go to bed - and she was the only child who understood and did it!  Or she'd put herself to bed!
My floors have spilled food on the floor - funny how that never happened while she was here
She always greeted us. Always.
I miss her in the front window.
When taking her in the car - she could tell if it was Nana's or the groomer - she'd start whimpering with excitement for Nana's house and she'd hide in the back if it was the groomer.
Perpetual optimism for food from us
When I'm cutting cheese up, I miss sharing it with her
I still look for her when I walk past the piano room

I really miss you Maggie.  I sometimes wish we could get another dog, but it hurt so much to lose you that I just can't fathom loving another dog as much as I loved you.   I worry about you being cold outside where we buried you.  You never said a word - but you definitely had your way of communicating with me.  I miss everything about you sweet Maggie.

No comments: